Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ice Storm 2009

Burr!!! We had a big ice storm move through last Monday night through to Wednesday morning. We had about 1 1/2 inches of ice & about 5 inches of snow on top of that. All night Tuesday night you could hear tree branches snapping & crashing to the ground. You could see flashes of green & blue lights as transformers were hit & lines were yanked down & poles snapped. We lost our power on Tuesday night & we are still without power. With the house already down to 65 by daybreak on Wednesday morning & water coming into my basement because my sump pump can't pump water out - Josh & my dad went to Lowe's on Wednesday morning and stood in line for about 4 hours to buy a generator. Then, like everyone else in town that had bought generators - they had to hunt down gas (the lines were sooo long at the stations that had power) & the right electrical equipment to hook it up to the house. By about 4 pm on Wednesday with the temperature in my house at 56 degrees the generator fired up & my heater kicked on! WHEW! Isaiah looked like an eskimo & was all snuggled up with Mommy until the house warmed up again. We don't have enough power to power our whole house - but it keeps our heater, sump pump, freezer & fridge going. And right now I am on the computer & internet & Josh & my dad are watching T.V. We hope our power comes back on soon so I can let my sister use our generator. She has little girls & they are all huddled into the living room of her house with the gas fireplace going. We have our neighbor's furnace hooked up to our generator too so that she & her two little girls can stay warm. I will post some pictures soon.

No comments: