Monday, November 24, 2008

Sunday's events...

Sorry about not posting yesterday - we were so busy. We went to church yesterday morning, then we went to Sheila's (Josh's Mom) for a delicious Thanksgiving lunch, then we came home & packed & drove to Evansville for the night. We stayed at the hospital in one of their sleep rooms, which is free of charge.

So Dr. Grant gave Isaiah his check up & he said, "Let us try giving him a bottle at every feeding". WOW! How exciting...since that is one of his last requirements before coming home. I gave him his bath last night. And when I weighed him he had a significant gain....from 4 lbs 4.8 oz to 4 lbs 6.9 oz! He ate well at 2 feedings yesterday. When it came time for dinner last night @ 9:30 after his bath he ate all but 10 cc's. Then they fed him NG ("Nasal Gastric" or tube feeding) for his 12:30 feeding. So at 3:30 this morning I woke up & went to feed him - he ate within his requirement but not the whole bottle...he still had about 5 cc's in there. He is supposed to eat 40-45 cc's at each feeding. Then when I fed him at his 6:30 feeding this morning he ate the whole bottle. We will feed him again at his 9:30 AM feeding & see how he does. He has had no residual. Residual is the food left in his belly before the next feeding, which means he is digesting everything he gets within the 3 hour gap between feedings.
He has a few long fingernails - and he was trying to yank the tube out of his nose & scratched his face pretty good. The nurse told me to bite the nails off because they won't use clippers. So at the 9:30 feeding I am going to do just that...because otherwise they keep mittens on their hands all the time.

Isaiah is also starting to hold his own temperature! When I took his temp. at the 3:30 AM feeding today it was 36.6 degrees & they want it to be 36.4 degrees. Which means they could turn the Isolette's temperature down because he was holding his own temperature. Yesterday when we showed up the Isolette was turned down to 28.3 degrees Celcius. When I came in at 6:30 AM - the nurse had bumped it down to 28!!!!! 28 degrees Celcius is "room temperature". Once he is able to hold his temperature at 36.4 degrees Celcius in the Isolette that is "room temperature" (28 degrees Celcuis) for 24 hours - they will move him into an open crib & out of the Isolette!!!! So at his 6:30 AM feeding I checked his temperature & it was holding steady at 36.4! My little man is doing so well!!!!!!!!!!! I love him so much. Won't be much longer now til he gets to come home.

We will feed him again at 9:30 AM & then we will head home sometime after that. Josh has to work today from 2 until 10.

Thank you for keeping up with his progress. I will add some more pictures this afternoon when I get home! Right now I need to eat breakfast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful. Both of you are blessed. I prayed for 20 years for a baby, it wasn't meant to be, but it does my heart good to see that your prayers were answered ~ "All is well with my soul". Anita

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, I am so happy for you and Josh and Isaiah. This wonderful miracle you and Josh have created is truly amazing. We will continue to pray that he keeps doing as wonderful as he is right now. It won't be much longer until ya'll are all home. God Bless You and we love ya'll.